Educational system of Croatia is split into several stages:
1. Elementary school for children aged 6-14 which is compulsory. Private schools do exist including those educating in foreign languages like:
- British school in Zagreb - www.britishschool.hr
- American International School - http://www.aisz.hr
- German International School - http://moodle.deutscheschule.hr/content
- French school - www.efz.hr/index.php/hr
There are also special schools teaching foregin languages like Byron school in Pula - www.byronlang.net
2. Secondary school is 3-4 years education for children aged 14-18 – mainly in gymnasiums. Among those there are private ones listed and internationally oriented - www.spg.hr/eng/index.asp
3. Hich school is represented by polytechnic schools (veleučilište) and universities (sveučilište). All together 10 universities, 16 polytechnical schools and 28 colleges of various profiles.
- The main institution is Univercity of Zagreb - www.unizg.hr/homepage/about-university/ rooting back to 1669 and supported by Maria-Theresa, Franz-Joseph of Austria.
- For natural sciences Ruder Boskovic Institute near Zagreb should be named as one of the best - www.irb.hr/ (physics, electronics, chemistry, biology, etc.).
- In Istria Pula University should be mentioned - www.unipu.hr/ There is a special department which provides education in Italian.
- The oldest University in Croatia dating back to 1396 is placed in Zadar. That time it was called Universitas Ladertina. Now it offers an admirable selection of 20 departments reopened in 2003 - www.unizd.hr/hr-hr/naslovnica.aspx
- Central Dalmatia is represented by Split University - www.unist.hr/ with a new campus being built. It is also offering a course in Italian.
- One of the most rapidly developing is University of Rijeka - www.uniri.hr/ The departments of biotechnology, informatics, mathematics and physics were added just in 2008.
- The University of Dubrovnik is the youngest in Croatia (2003) and thus probably most up-to-date with faculties of engineering, electric engineering, IT, business economics, maritime studies, aquaculture, mass communication etc.. - www.unidu.hr/
- Among the most recent ones is Zagreb School of Ecominic and Management - www.zsem.hr/
Enlgish language tuition is offered in Universities of Dubrovnik, Split, Rijeka, Zagreb School of Economic and Management.
So if you happen to purchase real estate in Croatia and move to this country – it can offer comprehensive education to your children.